Aquaponics integrating aquaculture and hydroponics.
- Aquaculture has been practised in China for thousands of years and is the farming of fish under controlled conditions in a captive space.
- Hydroponics is the growing of plants without soil. The plants are grown and thrive with their roots immersed in water laced with plant nutrients.
And what is the very best naturally occurring nutrient? Fish poo!
And here are seven other reasons why you need to seriously consider starting your very own home aquaculture system.
Seven Reasons to Consider Aquaponic System Farming
1. Requires only a small investment in money and time to set up a small aquaponic system. And only a few minutes each day will ensure a healthy, nutritious supply of vegetables and fish for the dinner table.
You can start with a few containers for the fish tanks, some pumps, plastic pipes and plumbing accessories. And some plant pots and growing medium. Any handyman could build a basic system in a weekend.
2. An aquaponics system takes up very little space. In the house or garage or apartment verandah. As long as there is enough light for the plants to develop naturally.
3. Anyone can start aquaponic farming. From Juniors as a fun hobby to Seniors providing healthy organic food for the table. And forget the bending over and the back pains. Design your system so that everything is at waist height. So much more enjoyment, so much more to see, close up.
4. All types of plants can be grown in an aquaponic system. From green vegetables like cabbage – Chinese or otherwise, tomatoes, herbs and even flowers. You can harvest the freshest organic vegetables and take them straight to the cooking pot.
5. The produce from an aquaponics system is totally organic and natural. No chemical fertilisers to harm your health.
6. The produce just tastes so much better, more natural because they have been grown with natural plant foods and at their own pace.
7. Growing vegetables and fish the aquaponic system way is very cost effective. The initial investment could be recouped in less than a year in savings from the family food bills. And after that it’s pure profit. Why spend a fortune at the market when you can grow your very own organic vegetables and tasty fish.
Aquaponics is life-changing in a healthy balance diet kind of way. Try it. It’s the easiest, safest and most convenient way to grow fish and vegetables. Start small and as your experiences grow, trade up to bigger and more abundant harvests.